Klingon translations

Feb 21, 00:00 by John Frost
Apparently there are several way to translate Klingon. These forums weren't around for issue #1, but feel free to talk Klingon anytime. (Does it require a special keyboard?)
Mar 21, 21:20 by Elizabeth Barrette
This was one of the stories that enticed me into the magazine. I subscribed especially so I could read it in the first issue.
May 6, 02:19 by mne
you smell
May 6, 02:20 by mne
go home you !!!!!
May 7, 16:59 by John Frost
Hmm. Looks like bluejack is going to need to add a "remove stupid post" feature.
May 26, 19:11 by qurgh lungqIj
It's taH pagh taHbe', not TaQ pagh TaQ vay'. Obviously the author didn't even take the time to make sure the Klingon they used was correct.

As a long time tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' I'll answer any questions.

No, you doin't require a special Keyboard to write Klingon. There is only one Klingon language, is that's what's ment by "several way to translate Klingon".

qurgh
KLI Member
tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'
May 27, 01:39 by Camden
You know it's awful convenient that every alien world has just the one language. Granted on Earth the French have kept their contrarian linguist streak by being the only people to speak in a British, not American, accent. Still was there any exception in Trek stronger than that? It seemed like the Bajorans or Vulcans may have had several languages, but I don't recall.
May 27, 16:21 by qurgh lungqIj
The Klingon language actually has a number of dialects. The one given my Marc in his book is considered the current dominate language, but it is not considered the only one. We just don't know what the others are (although we do know some of the dialectal differences.)

We see in the show that there are Ancient Bajoran and Vulcan languages, but I think the consus is that for a planet to be unified under one government everyone has to at least speak the same language. Even if it's as a second language.
Jun 7, 12:20 by David Gardner
It's taH pagh taHbe', not TaQ pagh TaQ vay'. Obviously the author didn't even take the time to make sure the Klingon they used was correct.

This piece was written before the appearance of the Klingon Hamlet. During filming, the line was adlibbed by Christopher Plummer, and hence does not appear in the script. The transliteration was pulled from a fan site at the time. Frankly, I think the spelling is irrelevant to the argument presented.
Jan 25, 15:23 by hey
what does Q'apla JiH AjHbe mean?
Jan 26, 12:26 by Troy Aitken
Thank you

About

Z
Apr 1, 07:09 by me
qurgh
there is only one lanquage but there are different dialects you moron if your going to be a nerd be a smart nerd.
Apr 1, 07:09 by me
qurgh
there is only one lanquage but there are different dialects you moron if your going to be a nerd be a smart nerd.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver