Dhalgren, a true classic.

Feb 21, 20:45 by John Frost
When did you first read Dhalgren? What did you think of it then? What do you think of it now?
Feb 22, 18:58 by Terry Hickman
First, I looked for it for *years*, all over the country, then found it when I least suspected it, right here where I live, in a mundane used book store.

Then, I started to read it. Couldn't. Couldn't even begin to get my head around it. Put it down. For years.

Finally, I picked it up again, and this time it reached up and grabbed me by the throat and honest to God I did nothing else for 10 - 12 hours until I'd read that entire book. I *loved* it. I didn't *understand* it, but I loved it.

One of these days I'll read it again. I expect I'll understand more of it second time around.
Feb 24, 16:33 by Shad Bolling
I'm going to have to read it now!

Thanks, Karen!
Mar 1, 14:32 by Kenny Cross
A friend of mine sent me the novel Nova to read. Nova instantly became one of my favorite novels so I looked for more Delany. I found two books that day that weren't in the sci-fi/fantasy section, they were in the regular fiction section.

One was Hogg (which made Dennis Cooper's novel Try seem like a young adult novel) and the other was Dhalgren.

The first time I read Dhalgren I couldn't finish it. A combination of other books coming out that I really wanted to get to reading and secondly I wasn't in the 'mood' to get into Dhalgren made me put it down.

The second time I read Dhalgren it grabbed me by the throat and throttled me for all it was worth. I had never read anything like it before or since.

Bellona to me is a dream, a city made from the mind of a poet. I want to live there and explore that world time and time again. Dhalgren is one of my favorite novels I have ever read. Reading the essay about it brought a smile to my face wanting to read it again.

If people want to get to know me better I always tell them to read two books. Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky and Dhalgren by Delany. It doesn't get much better than those two novels.

Mar 1, 15:53 by k. thistle
i'll have to read Notes from Underground!

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver