Comments concerning short fiction

Mar 11, 12:36 by Robert Brown
I believe I liked St Ailbe's Hall more than you did, Mr Jackson. I felt a tremendous sense of uplift myself when I finished it, as though the contemplation of God is in itself a method of enhancing the merely human into a higher realm of sentience. I didn't find the actions of the morons terribly unrealistic, though I'd prefer to think Catholics in Minnesota would be a bit more accommodating. I thought the antagonistic Carolyn character who mis-interprets the bible verse at the end was an excellent illustration in what goes wrong with the transmission of wisdom.

To William Sanders: I regard your story "When This World Is All on Fire" quite highly. I can't say I regard you very highly now. Was your flame *really* necessary?

Best,
Bert!
Mar 11, 17:45 by Bluejack
I suppose it is not so much a point of realism, as what makes for good fiction: I think a tension between heartfelt and comprehensible opinions makes for stronger drama that tensions between those who are obviously good and those who are obviously just barbaric. I love that the hero was a priest, finding his way through a complex moreal and emotional position, and doing so in a spiritual way; I don't object to the realistic portrayal of ignorant hoodlums; but I do wish there was some sort of reasonable voice casting a bit of doubt on his ultimate decision. When evil throws bricks, it's just an enemy. When evil seduces... then it's interesting.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver