Want to see something in IROSF?

Mar 20, 18:18 by John Frost
Post it here!
Oct 28, 16:26 by Jeremiah Sturgill
I personally would like to see a small number of dedicated columns (2-3 more) that continue from issue to issue - like one dedicated to reviewing classic short fiction (in my mind one story per column would be the perfect number).

Also in my mind, for what it's worth, I would like for those columns to be general information oriented, shorter than the other articles, and informative (learning new facts is always good) without being exhaustive. The amount of reliably accumulated, focussed information after even a years worth of publishing would make IROSF just that much better for the end user, IMHO. (particularly with a robust search feature)

I'm thinking sort of like what bluejack does, only focussed instead of sprawling. (And not like the columns in F&SF, which I do not usually enjoy)

Ideas for those columns?:
Critical reviews of classic short stories placing them in some context of the field and their author's career, but again without being as exhaustive as the articles.
Ditto, only with classic novels.
Ditto, only with classic SF films =)
Ditto, only with lesser known (but excellent) older authors (in this case always including a bibliography of suggested reads).
Ditto, only with current popular SF novels
And finally, ditto, only with smallpress originals.

I'm sure there are other great ideas that don't involve the word "ditto," too.

I'm thinking that to make the kind of thing I'm talking about viable, it would necessitate adding staff writers to site, maybe paying them for their columns a bit less than the freelance, larger, more in depth articles. (After all, it's a steady market and less work, that's got to be worth something=)

For what it's worth, that's something I would like to see.
Oct 28, 23:53 by Carey McGee
Jeremiah,

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I'm curious, though, about what you mean by "general information oriented" when it comes to the reviews/columns. Are you saying you prefer those that have information about the author, or information about the history/circumstances/etc. of a particular book or story? I'm unclear exactly on what types of facts you're hoping to see in this context.

Maybe the best way to demonstrate would just be to submit something along the lines you're thinking...

Carey
Oct 29, 22:32 by Jeremiah Sturgill
Are you saying you prefer those that have information about the author, or information about the history/circumstances/etc. of a particular book or story?

Errr... yes! I like information on all of those things.

=)

(Let me try and clarify...)

My concept of an "article" is something that attempts to either prove a certain argument or cover a broad topic in an exhaustive manner - informative, in depth, and probably running over 2000 words. Every issue of IROSF so far has had really good examples of these.

My concept of a "column" would be something that was filled with interesting information (particularly context - I love having a world to situate a work of art or artist in) but not exhaustively so, and running to not much more than 1500 words. (I would consider bluejack's work more column-like than article-esque, even if he does go over in length occasionally)

Most importantly, a column would have some kind of recurring structure, and probably a single person returning every issue to author it. So far the only column-like things I've seen on IROSF are the editorials, bluejack's reviews of short fiction, and possibly the interviews.

I think I would like the sense of continuity a few more columns (see my first post for a silly list of concepts=) would bring to IROSF, as well as enjoying shorter reads to fit in between the more daunting (but wonderful) articles.

But maybe it would be too stifling at this point; one of the big appeals of the IROSF to me is that it is rather eclectic, and you never know quite what you'll get.

So take my suggestion with a grain of salt, and hopefully I've managed to clarify what I was talking about.

(I might actually pitch a concept for a recurring column at some point, but I'm busy working on an article right now, so no dice! Maybe next month =)

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver