In the original. . .

May 17, 15:41 by Nathan Blumenfeld
The "in the original Klingon" was a reference to when, I believe in WWII, the Germans claimed Shakespeare as their own, and someone (or many someones) said, "You haven't read Shakespeare until you've read him in the original German."
May 18, 00:05 by Camden
I can see that. During WWII Germans liked to think they invented everything. Their archaeologists had trouble findig any evidence of ancient Germans doing anything as grand as the Greeks or Sumerians so they just made stuff up. In a few instances I think they also did the "so and so" was "really" German. Although it's done for non-vile reasons some devotees of Afrocentric history ended up doing similar things. Which is sad because that was so unnecessary when considering the many great literary works, grand cities, and empires Sub-Saharan Africans did make on their own.

(Germans kind of were mostly barbarians until rather late, but they did have some appeal which didn't resemble Nazi ideals at all)
May 18, 07:38 by David Gardner
The "in the original Klingon" was a reference to when, I believe in WWII, the Germans claimed Shakespeare as their own, and someone (or many someones) said, "You haven't read Shakespeare until you've read him in the original German."

That's really interesting. Off hand, do you know of any sources that I could look up on that?

David

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver