SETI

Jun 21, 17:30 by John Frost
Comments on Dr. Shostak's interview.
Jun 23, 04:48 by Lavie Tidhar
Excellent interview. I hope to see more of this kind of thing in future issues!
Jun 24, 12:08 by Dario Ciriello
Lavie,

Thanks for your comments! Dr. Shostak was a lot of fun to interview, as you could probably tell.

Dario
Jun 25, 04:25 by LP Turner
Dario,
I was interrupted three times, had to leave my computer, and yet I kept coming back. This is a sure sign the article was stellar. The death of hope for brother mind/other mind somewhere in the universe, the end of sci-fi as a genre? These are disturbing issues which demand resolution. Seeking out new life and new civilizations, here's a little company that is, unlike Rutan, floating on up into space: America's Other Space Program .
What about the other side of the story? Will we see more interviews with scientists with differing views?
Jun 25, 06:54 by Bluejack
One thing I particularly liked about this interview was that, while the subject of the interview was a scientist, and the conversation was directed to the scientist's core competancy, the interview itself was essentially about science fiction. I think Dario did a particularly good job of fusing the science with the science fiction in a way that worked for Dr. Shostak -- and also for SF readers. I'd like to see more like this, but I think it's going to be a hard trick to pull off on a regular basis.
Jun 26, 12:55 by Dario Ciriello
Paytor,

Glad you enjoyed the intercle (or was it an artiview?).

Thanks also for the link -- I'd read something about this program a while ago, but not seen the site. Truly fascinating! I guess the technology isn't sexy enough to garner high media profile, but it certainly intrigued me.

The encouraging thing is that although skeptics will dismiss either Rutan, or JPA, or the recently reinvigorated speculation that a space elevator could be built, as stunts, these technologies are being initiated, funded, and -- sooner or later -- one or several will start taking payload or passengers into orbit; and if costs begin to come down, the whole game changes.

As far as your final question, and Bluejack's kind comments go, I'm particularly interested in the interface/feedback loop between Science and Science Fiction. Ira Flatow, in NPR's 'Science Friday' broadcast live from the opening of the Seattle SF Museum a week ago interviewed Octavia Butler, David Brin, Greg Bear, and Gregory Benford on the very same subject.

One of the reasons it's important (IMO)to keep the interplay between the science and the fiction not only alive but visible in the media is that only through public support will we bring about the future we all feel is our birthright. Is that too messianic? <grin> Heck, I'm impatient too, but I remain an optimist: we shall have stars. And Contact, too.

Dario
Jul 6, 19:25 by Mike Bailey
Fantastic interview. Great guest. Very well done. Thank you for doing it for us!

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver