Innocense and Risk

Aug 21, 19:56 by John Frost
Comments on The Village or Robert Richardson's analysis thereof...
Aug 21, 21:48 by John Murray
How about a spoiler warning? How about getting the actress's name (Bryce Dallas Howard) right?
Aug 21, 23:12 by John Frost
Thanks Mervius! Despite our best efforts, often our readers are both wiser and more well-informed than we are. Corrections made.

-jf
Aug 21, 23:12 by Robert Richardson
merv;

Is her name really Bryce, or is that just what the Village Elders want you to think? :)
Aug 23, 05:55 by Craig Clarke
Shyamalan's film ends with Ivy returning to the village with knowledge of the outside world

I don't remember this being true. It was evident that her blindness kept her from gaining any new information other than what would simply confuse her (is she supposed to recognize the sound of a truck engine?), since she waited behind while the guy went to fetch the medicine.

I assumed that they had won, and this was the tragic consequence of their actions. They believe that perpetuating the lie is winning, despite the cost to them.
Aug 23, 09:29 by Robert Richardson
Craigsbookclub;

You are quite right that Ivy doesn't gain specific knowledge (ie. that she's really encountered a truck and a guard), but even if she believes she's reached "the towns," she's still gaining first-hand experience of an outer world. I was speaking allegorically, making a connection to Plato's myth of the cave, and perhaps worded things too loosely.

You said:

I assumed that they had won, and this was the tragic consequence of their actions. They believe that perpetuating the lie is winning, despite the cost to them.

I personally felt the Elders were simply evil -- I would have loved for them to be discovered and jailed for allowing some of their children to die, and for tricking them as they did. I'm not sure how Shyamalan saw them. Are you saying you thought the ending of the film was intended as an unhappy ending?
Aug 26, 13:57 by John Pitts
And how would young Ivy feel after she learns that the monster she killed is really Noah? After all, as Mr. Walker reiterated, they would eventually need to explain their mad scheme to someone to help perpetuate the myth.

I loved the quietness and thoughtfullness of this film, but feel that it has too many open holes.
Aug 29, 21:19 by Robert Richardson
johnpitts;

I'm not sure that the elders planned to tell Ivy (though how they would explain whatever became of Noah, I'm not sure). I think it was a deliberate choice to leave so many questions unanswered in this film although, like yourself, I don't know how successful that choice was.
Jan 27, 19:19 by Noah Enelow

I felt that the Elders would not have let Ivy go if she hadn't been blind. I think that was the key to preserving the illusion. Perhaps her combination of strong character and blindness was almost too convenient - a plot device.

I didn't think that the Elders were "evil" - it was too complex for that. They were running from their problems - they seemed more sick than evil. I also don't think the message of the film was that perpetuating the lie was good. I think the film was actually sending the exact opposite message - but also acknowledging that even though one might live in hiding or behind a smokescreen of lies, they may be successfully suppressed, at least temporarily. It did seem, and it does seem, as if living in perpetual fear is not "sustainable" - but then again, neither is the state in which we currently live.

I think Shyamalan deliberately left the ending open. Who knows what's going to happen down the line? That's one of my criticisms of the movie - failing to provide us with some glimmer of what might come when the inevitable contact is made, I think, was a cop-out.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver