Gibson in search of the artist.

Sep 28, 10:22 by Abizer Nasir
When I read Pattern Recognition last year, I was struck be a shared theme with his earlier novel Count Zero. In both books there is a wealthy sponsor who commissions the hunt for an artist. In one novel it is the creator of the Footage, and in the other it is the maker of boxes. In both cases the attraction of the artworks is an undefinable quality that tugs at the heart, and when the artists are found, they are both damaged in some way.

I always thought that there was something in this worth looking into.
Sep 29, 06:15 by Janine Stinson
So, would you be the one looking, or would you like someone else to be the "looker"? <g> I like this idea as well.
Sep 29, 06:44 by Abizer Nasir
So, would you be the one looking, or would you like someone else to be the "looker"? <g> I like this idea as well.

Either. I'm not going to claim idea theft if you choose to examine the idea and submit it, if that's what you mean. Did you see the same similarity while reading it? I'm sure you have a different take on it.

In my case I've got some ideas of a 'compare and contrast' nature. I haven't come to any conclusions yet; I was hoping to have a better insight after re-reading both the books.

I put the idea up here in the Brainstorming area to find out if there was some sort of interest in the idea. But since I put it up, I've been thinking about it a bit more and I think I might go home and look for my copy of Count Zero...
Sep 29, 09:17 by John Frost
Well, it certainly sounds like an interesting article; so whoever writes it, we'll be glad to take a look at it.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver