The Story for the Trees

Dec 21, 12:27 by Bluejack
This thread dedicated to discussion of Tolkien, or the discussion of discussion of Tolkien.

(For the article, click here.)
Dec 21, 13:38 by Janet Croft
Shameless self-promotion warning: in my book "War and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien" (Greenwood Press, 2004) I discuss battlefield communication and Tolkien's take on it pretty extensively. If you'd like to follow up on this article, you might enjoy it. Also John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War" has a lot to say about battlefield conditions.
Dec 23, 07:17 by Dotar Sojat
I knew that somebody had surely already tackled this issue. Congrats on the book, by the way.

So, jbcroft, you've done the research, does your book and my essay jive?
Dec 28, 13:14 by Dawn Burnell
I went into that piece thinking that the communication issue & the trees were releated. Like that due to the time-delay in communication and the need for important words the Ents and their communication style came about. But that's just me I guess.
Dec 30, 07:59 by Dotar Sojat
Now that you mention it, the Ents are slow to talk, and everything is face to face. F2f, or b2b (bark to bark). Hmmmmm...

Feb 1, 05:14 by Janet Croft
DotarSojat -- yep, we do look at a few of the same ideas. But I didn't really look at the Rings as a communication device, which they are in a way, so there's some work to be done in that area. And I've seen more on the palantiri as communication devices elsewhere (including a humor piece somewhere that likened them to cell phones). I focus more on intelligence and ways of communicating it, and how battlefield communication of the lower-tech type reinforces Tolkien's preference for lead-from-the-front tactics, where things like the palantir reinforce the Hitler-like preference of the enemy to lead from behind -- and provide him with suspect information. You can find out more about my book at http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/war_and_works_jrrt.htm.
Feb 2, 10:10 by Dotar Sojat
Sweet Fancy Moses... The animatronics were right, it IS a small world after all.

Heck, I'll do more than check out the website, I'd be willing to meet you at, say, the Library for pints and discussion. Thursday nights are good. What do you say? First round is on me.

Mar 14, 13:52 by Janet Croft
Just got back to this -- are you at University of Oklahoma, then?
Mar 15, 08:54 by Dotar Sojat
I was at the university back in the day. Now I just live in Norman. So what do you think of the Library idea?

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver