Steampunk!

Jan 31, 20:53 by Bluejack

How about this bibliography? Anything to add? Any disputes?

(Lavie Tidhar's article is here.)
Feb 1, 05:46 by Nathan Ballingrud
Nothing at the moment; I'm still too excited at the length of the list! So many new stories to track down! I've been a fan of steampunk ever since reading Blaylock's Homunculus, and I can't wait to give some of these others a look. My thanks to the author of this article.
Feb 1, 07:14 by Lon Prater
Great article, Lavie. Steampunk is a hard to define subgenre, but you've done well to clarify the overarching theme that separates it from industrial era fantasy, steam age alternate histories, and Vernian romance. I now have a much longer list of works to seek out and read than I started with. :)

Though not exactly fitting in to the "loss of control" thematic framework you specify, folks who enjoy reading about gentlemen adventurers who fight crime using late steam age technology and science-flavored magic should give Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories a chance.

I'd also recommend Gothic Steam Phantastic as a pretty good web source for steampunk related goodness.

Best,

Lon
www.Neverary.com
Feb 1, 11:32 by shawn scarber
Excellent article! I've always loved steampunk and I hope it gets more attention. Sony's Steamboy might help that along.
Feb 2, 12:58 by John Joseph Adams
Wow, Lavie, great spotlight! Editors -- if Lavie is an expert on any other sub-genres, get him (her?) to write another spotlight post-haste!
Feb 3, 09:28 by Jim Henry
I would add the anthology _War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches_. It reprints Howard Waldrop's "Night of the Cooters", in which Wells' Martian invaders meet the Texas Rangers, and adds a bunch of original stories in which Teddy Roosevelt (Mike Resnick), Emily Dickinson (Connie Willis), the Dowager Empress of China (Walter Jon Williams), Jack London (Dave Wolverton), and others fight the Martians.

Also, note that Waldrop's "Night of the Cooters" appears in his Ace collection of the same title, and "Black as the Pit, from Pole to Pole" appears in _Custer's Last Jump_ (Golden Gryphon). I suspect several of Waldrop's other stories would fit, too, but they aren't coming to mind. Maybe "Fin de Cycle"; my vague recollection is that it's set in an alternate historical 1900 Paris, and involves bicycles; but it's been too long since I read it to say for sure what else it's about.

Robert Reed's recent "The Dragons of Summer Gulch" from Sci Fiction should be listed. Alternate historical paleontology in the Wild West.
Feb 3, 20:15 by travitt hamilton
I haven't read any of that Global Dispatches except for the London (Wolverton) story, which I would strongly recommend, even if you're not into the steampunk thing. It is strange and moving.

Great article Lavie. Loved the bibliography.
Feb 4, 00:45 by Bluejack
I'm a little skeptical about the Reed story.

Although there is a train in it ... possibly, but not definitively, a steam locomotive ... I think the Reed story was more quirky fantasy than steampunk, by pretty much any definition of steampunk I can imagine.

Don't get me wrong, I think Reed is one of the masters of the short form currently writing, but I don't see the steampunk as anything more than a superficial resonance in "Dragons..."
Feb 4, 07:47 by Adrian Simmons
I'd also recommend Phil Foglio's GIRL GENIOUS comics.
Feb 7, 07:28 by Lavie Tidhar
I'm sorry I didn't reply to this before. It was great to get such positive feedback on the article!

If I can recommend some of the less-obvious titles on the list, Chris Wooding's Alaizabel Cray is fantastic. Jigsaw Men is great fun (and you get a nice signed limited edition) but the plot doesn't really hold up. Deathscent was one of the most intriguing titles, and I don't know why no sequels have been published. It was a good read. I can also say anything by Kim Newman is worth checking out.

If you can read French, there's a lot of Steampunk published in France that I wish I could read. The covers alone are worth the price of the book.
Feb 8, 13:43 by John Eastlake
I'll be so bold as to recomend Martha Wells' _Death of the Necromancer_ set in alternate 19th century France.
Feb 14, 00:48 by travitt hamilton
I can't believe I'm about to post this, but we just took our daughter to see The Polar Express, and it was actually pretty good. And I thought the whole North Pole setting had a steampunk vibe to it. Particularly the control room with the stack of video monitors and the candy striped "Santa Phone." It seemed to be a good example of the high-tech/low-tech dichotomy. All these seemingly high-tech gadgets supported by a neo-victorian infrastructure.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver