Dangerous Visions and Feet of Clay

Apr 4, 21:40 by Bluejack

Further thoughts on anthology formats? Dangerous Visions? Harlan Ellison? Jeremiah Sturgill's consideration of same?

For the essay, try here.
Apr 5, 22:08 by David Bratman
not sure whether you're arguing that the personal glimpses of the authors in DV are a good thing or a bad thing.

word to the wise: "forward" is the direction you walk when you're not going sideways or backwards. The thing that appears at the start of a book is a word at the fore, or "foreword". My copy of DV has it right.
Apr 6, 07:23 by Jeremiah Sturgill
"not sure whether you're arguing that the personal glimpses of the authors in DV are a good thing or a bad thing."

Then I've really made some kind of colossal miscalculation along the way. Aside from the pervasive foreward typo. My apologies.
Apr 6, 09:47 by Bluejack
Typos corrected.
Apr 7, 23:11 by travitt hamilton
My bad on the "foreword" typos.

It was obvious to me that you were arguing that the personized forewords were a good thing, in fact part of your argument seemed to be that you would like to see more of this sort of thing, that it made the anthology more intimate somehow.

Having said that, I didn't get the impression that this intended as a thumbs-up/thumbs down deal, so much as a rumination on the relationship of the stories to the authors, the authors to each other, the stories to the reader, the author to the reader, all of these people to Ellison. The essay seems to me to be about the role of literature in our individual lives (as opposed to its role in our culture as Heidi Kneale's essay argues}. And, I think, on its ultimate community-building effect on fandom.
Apr 9, 08:01 by LP Turner
There can be no apology for thinking, nor for writing. You done well, kid.
Apr 9, 10:25 by travitt hamilton
xxx
Apr 9, 10:25 by travitt hamilton
I should have reiterated also--absolutely no apologies necessary.
Apr 10, 15:14 by Jeremiah Sturgill
Thanks Travitt, Paytor. I'm glad you got something (positive!) from the essay.
Apr 13, 23:30 by Kaylene McInnes
I can't believe you and your friends had to go to Goodkind's website to realize he's a dickhead! I figured that one out along about "Blood Of The Fold".
Otherwise, kudos on the essay.
Apr 15, 15:05 by Jeremiah Sturgill
I can't believe you and your friends had to go to Goodkind's website to realize he's a dickhead! I figured that one out along about "Blood Of The Fold".

We like giving people the benefit of the doubt. Sturgeon, for example, in writing what is essentially the first spec-fic story with a positive homosexual protaganist - that doesn't necessarily say anything about his sexuality (nor does his story examining incest in Dangerous Visions, "If All Men Are Brothers, Would You Let One Mary Your Sister?" - best title ever, BTW).

I think you may just be a more perceptive reader than I, though. I didn't really sit up and go, "wh-whaaaaa???!!!" until Soul of the Fire.

Did you read the interview linked in the article? It's really amazing, parts of it are downright inflamatory, and the rest of it arrogant, ignorant and insulting. If I thought it was possible, and they would be candid, I would love to talk to the people that deal with him at Tor and see what they think of Goodkind, and how their thinking has changed over the course of his career.

(Here's to hoping I don't have to adopt a pen name and secret alter ego to get anything published after saying that! =)

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver