Nuclear Fallout

Aug 1, 21:54 by IROSF

This thread is for discussion of MaryAnn Johanson's latest essay.

The essay itself can be found here.
Aug 3, 05:39 by Abizer Nasir
I must mention Planet of the Apes (1968).

although it doesn't directly show Nuclear war, there is a clear implication that this is what brought about the end of man. This is supported by the sequel Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970), where humans worship an atomic weapon.
Aug 3, 09:04 by Adrian Simmons
Such a discussion would not be complete with out mention of the Mel Gibson trilogy of Mad Max. I'm pretty sure that the original 'Mad Max' was set during a downard spiral of civilization. 'The Road Warrior' and 'Beyond Thunderdome' both simply say that at some point there was an atomic war.

Aug 6, 08:33 by MaryAnn Johanson
I never said this discussion was complete -- there are many more films that touch in some way on nuclear war than I mentioned here. I just aimed for an overview of how attitudes in the culture at large impacted Hollywood.
Aug 6, 09:38 by Bluejack
If someone *did* want to aim for a comprehensive bibliography, it could make an interesting "Subgenre Spotlight"
Aug 11, 17:12 by Carey McGee
It's probably pointless to repost anything from Boing Boing, but here's an interesting article about the relationship between SF and the development of the A-bomb, which includes a story about John W. Campbell getting investigated by the feds.
Aug 16, 16:43 by Richard Hayden
It's interesting that you mention the BBC film Threads. I was ten when that screened over here. Too young to watch it. but I remember school the next day quite vividly. A lot of the older kids had seen it; most of the teachers had too. Retrospectively I wonder whether what we felt that day was the realisation of how devastating nuclear power can be, something we (that is, the British public) hadn't really had to think about before.

About 20 years before Threads, the BBC made another post-holocaust docu-drama called The War Game. It was never screened. Before it could go out, the government stepped in and confiscated it on grounds of public morale. Questions were asked in the House of Commons and one MP chastised the BBC for portaying the British public as panic stricken and out of control. He reasoned that this would never happen to a people who had endured the Blitz. It is incredible to think now that the ruling body of the UK at the very height of the Cold War thought a direct nuclear assault on London would actually have no greater effect than a WW2 bombing raid. Threads changed that view.

By the way, UK film critic and author Kim Newman wrote a book, variously called Millennium Movies or Apocalypse Movies (depending on the edition), that charts a great deal of nuclear threat movies, plus a lot of other Armegeddon themes. It's not particularly deep but may be worth a look to those who are interested.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver