January Short Fiction

Jan 9, 21:33 by IROSF
Thread for the discussion of short fiction, and Tilton's reviews.

The article is here.
Jan 10, 02:15 by Christina Francine
I have to say the 'Short Fiction" piece each month is one of my favorites from IRSF. Maybe its because I'm a reviewer myself or just that I'm noisy to see what's going on. So, when BlueJack stepped down I wondered if his shoes would be filled appropriately. I'll miss BlueJack's comments, but am releived to find Lois did a great job of it. Good job Lois!

I do have a suggestion though, bring back the Link to each magazine when taking ones cursor over the book-cover. It is a small thing yet a nice perk.
Jan 10, 04:37 by Richard Horton
As I said elsewhere, I have come not to praise -- though I should -- the Short Fiction reviews are my favorite part of IROSF -- but to nitpick.

I am sure that Elizabeth Bear is referring not to Glen Cook's "Garrett, P.I." with the name of her detective, but rather to Randall Garrett, creator of Lord Darcy. Indeed, not a coincidence, but a different non-coincidence!
Jan 10, 08:12 by Lois Tilton
Rich Horton is of course quite right about Randall Garrett, although neither of us can peer into Bear's head and know which, or both, predecessor Garretts were lurking there.
Jan 10, 08:38 by Elizabeth Bear
All Garretts, in general, are welcome here. I always kind of assumed that Garrett, P.I., was named after Randall Garrett, but then I never actually checked the chronology.

Her middle name is for Irene Adler, though.

--ebear
Jan 10, 11:28 by Jim Ryals
If you were on a budget (aren't we all) and could only purchase 3 print periodicals of scifi, which three would you choose?
Jan 10, 11:43 by Bluejack
Me? Asimov's, F&SF, and Interzone. But I'd also take advantage of the many free sources out there.

Also, it might be more reasonable to actually set a budget, because there are some great publications that come out less frequently, and accordingly cost less, but which I would be loathe to lose:

Aeon, Talebones, Electric Velocipede, Challenging Destiny, Paradox...

But it also depends on *what* you like. Obviously, Analog would be on many people's list. People who like humor would probably put Andromeda Spaceways on the list...
Jan 10, 12:06 by Lois Tilton
[reply to e bear] Ah, well, that is both an inclusive and consistent theory!

So, should we be expecting more Garrett stories after "Wane"?
Jan 10, 12:11 by Lois Tilton
My 3 choices would probably be Asimov's, Interzone and RoF.

In fact, except for Interzone, those are the zines to which I have recently held subscriptions, and having seen the last couple of IZs, under the new management, I would have been adding it, were I not getting a review copy.
Jan 10, 21:39 by Elizabeth Bear
Lois--

Maybe! There's a novella about Don Sebastien and his hitherto-unseen sidekick Jack Priest forthcoming in Subterranean 5, and I'm working on another Abby Irene story--"Paddareen"--but these are slow going, so I'm not sure when it will be done.

--ebear
Jan 11, 05:40 by Jonathan Sherwood
Hi Lois, this is Jonathan Sherwood (author of "Under the Graying Sea"). I just wanted to say a big thank you for the wonderful review. You made my day.
Jan 11, 07:47 by Lois Tilton
Maybe! There's a novella about Don Sebastien and his hitherto-unseen sidekick Jack Priest forthcoming in Subterranean 5, and I'm working on another Abby Irene story--"Paddareen"--but these are slow going, so I'm not sure when it will be done.

It's a setting that seems to call for more stories.
Jan 11, 07:50 by Lois Tilton
Jonathan Sherwood (author of "Under the Graying Sea")[/ Q]

I look forward to seeing more from you.
Feb 2, 18:03 by Sarah Edwards
I, too, enjoy the short fiction reviews very much. However, I'd like to request that the practice be revived of having a table of contents listing at the beginning of the reviews. This was done up until the December issue, and was very helpful.

Thanks for the thoughtful reviews!

Sarah
Feb 3, 08:27 by Lois Tilton
That shouldn't be a problem.

LT
Feb 3, 11:31 by Bluejack
Well, one thing worth noting: Lois reviews all the stories in an issue... I only reviewed a smattering. If we put a ToC in that links to every story reviewed, the ToC will be almost as long as the rest of the article!! Perhaps just a ToC linking to the particular magazines?
Feb 3, 13:19 by Lois Tilton
That's what I was thinking of.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver