Ghosts of Yesterday by Jack Cady

Jan 9, 21:33 by IROSF
Thread for the discussion of Ghosts of Yesterday by Jack Cady -- or Robert's review.

The article is here.
Jan 10, 00:38 by Andrew Ty
Good review, especially since I also had the same reaction to Cady's picture before I read an older story of his called "By Reason of Darkness."

I've always been interested in Ghosts of Yesterday, and I think your review cinches it for me.

Still, I'm curious: How are the essays, by the way? That's another selling point for me.
Jan 10, 00:47 by Mario Guslandi
Regardless of how nice a guy Cady was it's hard for me to rank him among the great, modern ghost story writers. I've read the book a couple of years ago and I found his stories so dull and shallow that I immediately forgot all about them. Taste is a funny, very personal matter, isn't it?
Jan 10, 02:55 by Robert Urell
Hi Eldritch00,
Well, I can only endorse the essays with this caveat: I wrote this review some six months ago. I remember the essays only vaguely except that one of them (the nostalgia piece about Halloween, I think) offered an excellent approach to the entire roster of stories in the collection; it should have been the introduction.

Mario: Well, I suppose that's why they call it taste, neh? There's really nothing I can say to address such a firm, comprehensive declaration like, "Dull and shallow." Seems we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver