March 2006: Short Fiction

Mar 13, 15:32 by IROSF

Let's talk about short stories!

The reviews are is here.
Mar 13, 21:04 by Lois Tilton
It has been brought to my attention that the author of "Heart of Ice" in the RoF review is Jena Snyder, not Craig Elliott [the illustrator].
Mar 13, 21:13 by Bluejack
Fixed.
Mar 14, 07:51 by Jena Snyder
Thanks, Lois and Bluejack -- I appreciate the quick correction. It was an easy mistake to make, with my byline lost in the teaser and the illustrator's name on his own line.

-- Jena Snyder ("the author formerly known as Craig") ;-)
Mar 14, 11:22 by Lois Tilton
And congratulations on your first pro publishment!
Mar 14, 14:41 by Lois Tilton
[sigh]

It has been brought to my attention that the author of "The Unsolvable Deathtrap" in Interzone #202 is Jack Mangan, not whoeveritwas, the illustrator.

[sigh]
Mar 14, 16:23 by Carey McGee
fixed.
Mar 14, 16:40 by Jena Snyder
Thanks, Lois! And thanks too, for recommending the story - I really appreciate it.
Mar 14, 17:52 by twosheds
I enjoyed the first two stories in ROF, but they both had parts that left me scratching my head. In “Lady…” the logic of bringing Arthur back because of (list of today’s headlines). I understand the need to be topical, but WWII or the Napoleonic Wars weren’t threat enough to bring him back? In “Moon…” Teiko became transformed from a naïve “koi” to a brilliant political tactician a little too easily for me. And if she were really that smart and resourceful, she could’ve figured out a way to live through it rather than sacrifice her life. In “Anywhere…” I hung on every short vignette. Wonderfully written! I can understand all of your statements about “Jane…” For me, it was obvious that a critical piece of information was being withheld from the reader in the first few pages. But I liked the world it was set in, and by fleshing out these characters, giving them greater motivations and personalities, I could see this piece expanded into a novel.
I enjoyed “Heart…” and its weirdness factor. My only grumble is that it’s mostly a story of someone telling a story. As a reader, I feel one-step removed and not as involved as I could’ve been.

In FSF, I loved “Gardening…” and how the reader saw this selection process played out in the lab and in the hospital. Some parts read like a text book. I know some readers love that stuff (but I end up skipping it). I’m with you: a particularly interesting premise. I looked over my copy of FSF and the only comment I had about “Starbuck” was “not really genre.” Sometimes I feel that the SF/F element is forced in to sell the piece. Maybe I felt this way about this story-I don’t remember—didn’t leave a strong impression. The only note I wrote about “Cold War” was “what did I miss?” Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad a lot of people enjoyed it. A magazine needs to give the reader a variety of styles. “The Moment…” left the biggest impression on me. The story started a bit slow, and it strayed, leaving me scratching my head (I did a lot of that this month—maybe I’m infested with something.) But then the plague hit and it started reading like a King novel. I couldn’t put it down! But then the ending…! She woke up from a dream! It was a fancy “…and then I woke up” story. I thought those were one of the biggest no-nos in writing. And now I know why. As a reader, I felt my interest with the story had been trifled with. I felt cheated. Grrrr!
Mar 15, 14:11 by Patricia Altner
Kitty and the Moshpit of the Damned by Carrie Vaughn reviewed by Lois Tilton

Werewolf Kitty is quite an engaging character. I recently read Vaughn's novel "Kitty and the Midnight Hour" (Warner Aspect 2005). Now I will need to get a copy of Weird Tales so I can read the short story. Also there will be a sequel to "Midnight Hour" which I look forward to reading.

And by the way - Darkness on the Ice by Lois Tilton (Pinnacle, 1993) - is one of my favorite vampire tales.
Mar 15, 17:02 by Lois Tilton
I'm glad you enjoyed it! That one is the lesser-known.
Mar 16, 10:31 by Jack Mangan
Thanks for the quick fix, Ms. Tilton! No harm done at all.... And thanks even more for the Recommended review. Rik Rawling is the name of the story's artist (who'd originally been listed here as the author), and I must say, I was extremely pleased with his artwork.
Mar 19, 03:57 by Christina Francine
I miss having links to each publication either on each photo or somewhere. Any chance we can get those back? As I'm going through the reviews I like to check out the magazine.
Mar 19, 07:01 by Lois Tilton
Most the publications I'm reviewing are not online.

What kind of links are you thinking of to those, or only to the online publications?
Mar 19, 10:30 by Carl Frederick
At first I was mildly annoyed at the absence of a review for Analog, the number one American SF magazine in terms of circulation. But then I began to look on it as a good thing; I've never thought IROSF reviewed the magazine with an understanding of the Analog sub-genre. I can only hope that Baen's Universe will receive the same level of attention.
Mar 19, 16:00 by Lois Tilton
Hi, Carl.

The Analog review will appear in the April issue. The issue was not available until after the deadline for the March issue of IROSF. So don't worry, I'm not neglecting Analog. And I will point out that LOCUS reviewers have tended to review Analog a lot less often than IROSF.

As for Baen's Universe, if they send a review copy, I will certainly read it.
Mar 19, 16:19 by Carl Frederick
Sorry, Lois. I tend to get a little defensive about Analog--indeed, mainly because of the short shrift it gets from Locus.

Baen's Universe appears an e-zine echo of Amazing/Analog during the Golden Era. As it seems to favour the types of stories I like to read, I'm excited about the magazine (doubly excited now that I've sold them a story). The magazine debuts this June.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver