The War is Over

Mar 13, 15:35 by IROSF
Thread for the discussion of Thomas Disch' The Dreams Our Stuff Is Made Of.

Greg Beatty's review is here.
Mar 14, 11:59 by A.R. Yngve
I already have the book, and enjoyed it greatly.

Not that I agree with all his views (I even wrote a semi-angry letter to Disch and defended Philip K. Dick -- and Disch responded!).

Some of Disch's insights are worthy of McLuhan (the Starship Enterprise as a utopian office is especially brilliant), sometimes he gets bitchy, but he's never dull.

My only truck is with the pessimistic "SF Is Doomed" conclusion: To proclaim the whole genre doomed requires more evidence than is offered in the brief last chapter. Besides, others have claimed the same before.

But: great fun overall. Why aren't more books like that written about SF?

I'd love to see a companion piece about Fantasy:
THE DREAMS OUR RINGS ARE MADE OF: HOW J.R.R. TOLKIEN CONQUERED POPULAR CULTURE.
;-)

-A.R.Yngve
Homepage
Mar 27, 06:41 by Jason Bolte
I understand his opinions about Star Trek, but to describe the entirety of science fiction on television and film as dumb seems a particularly old fashioned stance, especially coming from a novelist and not as a screenwriter. The book was a great read, but I felt that he just completely ignored two entire media (and not to mention radio productions).
Mar 27, 19:16 by Kaylene McInnes
I don't know about the American need to lie, but you do seem to have a pathological need to claim credit for EVERYTHING! Poe did NOT invent science fiction! Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein when Poe was about 7 years old! And as for belittling the contribution of women to the genre - a woman invented it (see above)!
Apologies for all the exclamation points, but really!
Mar 28, 11:52 by Jason Bolte
He does mention Shelley in his Poe chapter and sees her as carrying a tradition of SF not as a modern genre, but rather in the same way as classical authors (biblical J, roman authors, even Gilgamesh). He makes an almost convincing case for Poe, but he might have chosen Poe more to fit his thesis. It's definitely worth an in depth study, though.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver