Red Alert

Apr 24, 17:00 by IROSF
Thread for the discussion of cold war genre films, or Daniel M. Kimmel's discussion of Dr. Strangelove and Colossus.

The essay is here.
Apr 24, 19:29 by Ron Dwyer
Dr. Strangelove is one of the great movies of the 20th Century.
Apr 27, 06:46 by hachen chevalier
i'm not so sure that the finale of strangelove is the end of the world. strangelove stands at the end and says "mien fuhrer, i have a plan" his plan may have succeeded in preventing doomsday.
Apr 28, 03:26 by Daniel M. Kimmel
Watch the movie again. Actually he says, "Mein Fuhrer, I can WALK!" As the world is being destroyed he's being resurrected. Only a few minutes before, when General Turgidson makes his prayer of Thanksgiving, he uses the phrase "We have heard the wings of the Angel of Death" and Kubrick cuts to Strangelove sitting in the shadows.

One of the inspirations for the character of Strangelove was former Nazi rocket scientist Werner von Braun, who had become a "good guy" after the war by joining OUR rocket program. In Tom Lehrer's famous lyrics, "Once the rockets go up who cares where they come down/That's not my department, says Werner von Braun."

In any event, it's too late for any plan. When Major Kong's missile explodes, that sets off the Doomsday Device, and that's why we see the series of mushroom clouds at the end.
May 4, 19:33 by hachen chevalier
Watch the movie again. Actually he says, "Mein Fuhrer, I can WALK!"

ok, the second to last thing that strangelove says is "mr. president, i have a plan.

that's why we see the series of mushroom clouds at the end.

ahhh i often wonder about this too. the preamble of the movie states that the doomsday bomb is in a single remote arctic location. the real world proposition for the doomsday bomb was comprised of about 400 h-bombs in a cobalt container. it would theoretically make enough radioactive fallout to eliminate all life on earth.
Nov 17, 23:43 by Abby Goldsmith
This reminds me of talking about the early days of video games with a high school student. When I mentioned the Commodore 64, he asked if that was a game. That was the first time I ever felt old.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver