Negadon Attacks

Aug 9, 17:50 by IROSF
A thread to anime, or Amy Harlib's treatment of three short films from Japan.

The article can be found here.
Aug 10, 07:56 by Michael Andre-Driussi
Thank you Amy Harlib for your review. Good to see some more anime coverage in IROSF!

I haven't seen Negadon yet, and I guess I should, but I have seen the other two. Just the schedule of showing Kakurenbo: Hide and Seek (2005) and then Cat Soup (2001) seems like a great idea to me--a "natural progression" that I hadn't encountered before.

I think Kakurenbo is beatiful, with some of the look and feel of Miyazaki's Spirited Away at the intersection of Japan old and modern. On the other hand, the pacing of the 25 minute movie felt to me more like the opening episode to a ground-breaking TV series (of six or thirteen episodes) than a stand alone film. I've argued with people about this (and wondered if the film isn't really designed to be a pilot like that), but that's still my impression.

Cat Soup does not share that problem, having the heft and shape of an odyessy at only 34 minutes. The artwork is outside of the usual anime spectrum--it looks to me like European art house animation of the 1980s. (Pretty disturbing stuff, not for kids under 13, I guess.)

As I say, pairing these two, in that order, seems like a great way to show them!

=Michael Andre-Driussi=

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver