February Short Fiction

Mar 12, 19:53 by IROSF
A thread to discuss short fiction or Lois' reviews this month.

The article can be found here.
Mar 13, 09:19 by twosheds
I loved the entire set-up of Wolfe’s piece in F/SF—using asteroids as memorials for the dead, and that a quasi-religion had evolved around killing trespassers. I realize that Gene is an older gentleman, and I observe that his characters and bits of the dialogue can seem a tad old-fashioned. But that’s OK when you’re getting a Gene Wolfe story. I appreciate his life-long view of the genre.

I was never able to get into Gerrold’s first story. The approach didn’t appeal to me at all, though I suppose it’s as good as people are saying. To me, it’s blocks of narrative.

“…making his (Mead’s) fiction a lie.” Or perhaps it’s “historical shift” per an online interview with John Joseph Adams.

Cat Rambo’s story in Strange Horizons was uncomfortably chilling. I was at one time repulsed by parts of it, yet unable to stop reading. I agree that the reader is left to sort out the ending.

What happened to the April Realms of Fantasy? Are you saving it for next time?
Mar 13, 15:13 by Lois Tilton
Ah, twosheds! Missed you last month!

I had a slight problem with the asteroid memorials, wondering who had set them up, and set them up the way they had.

I did enjoy Gerrold's first story, but only after getting past the offputting opening, to which, to my mind, a machete might have been taken.

re: Mead - I haven't seen this interview and don't know what he means by "historical shift", but if he means by this something like alternate history, I don't buy it. What he did was sensationalize the history.

wrt RoF, I'm not saving it because I don't have it.

Mar 13, 16:13 by David Soyka
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks of the Coyote series as retread pulp with simplistic and pedantic social commentary.
Mar 13, 16:48 by Lois Tilton
Reading the Coyote series, I always think I've opened the wrong magazine.
Mar 13, 17:27 by Steven Francis Murphy
Oh, I don't know. I enjoy Steele's stories, inspite of the issues you raised in your review, Lois.

But then again, I mainly ignore the polemical aspects of it.

Enjoy your reviews, btw. Wish you were still writing fiction.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Mar 13, 18:06 by Lois Tilton
Thanks, Murphy. This is the other side of my brain at work.

Here's the thing: I did think this particular story was bad, because the characterization was so very heavy-handed. But this is not necessarily polemical; it's just bad characterization.

I don't want to say all Analog-type stories are badly-written, or heavy-handed, although many of them are; these are the sort of faults that Analog's editor tends to tolerate. Still, it is a recognizable type of story, and even if Steele's story didn't have these characterization problems, or the heavy-handed Message, it would still, to me, be the sort that I would expect to see in Analog, not Asimov's, due to its subject matter.

Mar 14, 16:09 by Steven Francis Murphy
Lois, I think you probably described in a nutshell why I don't have a subscription to Analog.

The characters didn't seem too far off to me, but then maybe that is because here in the Midwest it is wall to wall characters like the couple in the hovercraft with Manny the Avatar.

Maybe Steele is channeling his time here in Missouri.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver