From the Files of the Time Rangers

May 14, 21:44 by IROSF
A thread to discuss Richard Bowe's From the Files of the Time Rangers or Robert M. Urell's review.

The article can be found here.
May 17, 16:54 by Richard Bowes
Thank you very much, Mr. Urell. I deeply appreciate this.

A review like yours makes up for the experience of sitting, a week and a half after major surgery, through four hours of lousy food and aggravated boredom to finally have Joe Haldeman, enraged and confused because he hadn't been nominated, mangle my name beyond recognition.

I have, by the way, no problem with Jack McDevitt's win. Nor would I have had with any of the other nominees. Jack is a fine writer who has worked long and well and richly deserves this recognition.

Rick Bowes
May 17, 21:51 by Robert Urell
You're welcome, Mr. Bowes. In fact, thank you. I read your book at the same time I was reading Milton's PARADISE LOST, and it provided a very weird, delightful contrast.
May 18, 04:28 by Richard Bowes
Milton's done some nice stuff. But you'll notice he's never even been nominated for any of the major awards.

Rick Bowes
May 18, 05:24 by Robert Urell
Depends on whether or not you count all the award-winning Adam and Eve fanfic that followed as being a tacit nomination....
May 20, 16:17 by Richard Bowes
In truth Milton doesn't get the genre credit he deserves. Gaiman in his Sandman series celebrates Shakespeare and Chesterton and others. Milton isn't mentioned though the Lucifer character is his Son Of The Morning Star.
May 21, 13:15 by Robert Urell
You are correct, sir! Though, truth be told, in light of my taste for Nietzsche, the King of Chaos is my favorite character (he gets a whopping 100 or so lines in Book II, I think). I also think you were spot on in staking the genre's claim on Ovid in your afterword. Petronius, not so much, maybe, but METAMORPHOSES ranks up there with THE ILIAD for commitment to the conceit.
May 24, 05:53 by Richard Bowes
A lot of my research for Time Rangers was rereading the classics from Livy to Homer - in translation. Among the real pleasures was seeing the elegance with which Ovid wove legends together to form the "chapters" of METAMORPHOSES. Made it seem to me much more like a novel.
May 25, 06:42 by Robert Urell
It shows. There's a sense of authenticity to the classical era writers that's really hard to duplicate. They weren't writing imaginary fables, their stuff was an article of faith. I've seen some reviewers question your use of the Latin pantheon, but I think there's an argument to make for it being a fitting choice. With the confluence of so many faiths in Rome, their religion was something of a nod at the multiverse, I think. Anyways, it worked on a allegorical level for me.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver