Farthing by Jo Walton

May 14, 22:08 by IROSF
A thread to discuss Jo Walton's Farthing or David Soyka's review.

The article can be found here.
May 15, 05:16 by Marissa Lingen
IROSF is the last place I expected to see the tired old "it's not really genre because it's not cheap escapism" cliche. I'm disappointed.
May 15, 08:28 by Bluejack
I guess you are referring to:

Farthing is no more a "fantasy" than 1984 is a "science fiction" novel. Of course, both books are those in one sense, but they are hardly "escapist" as the literary mainstream employs these terms.

Although I see the reading, I didn't take this as anything other than: Farthing is in the same transcendent category as 1984, something that ought to be able to earn mainstream accolades, but regrettably has not yet done so.

May 15, 10:21 by David Soyka
Although I see the reading, I didn't take this as anything other than: Farthing is in the same transcendent category as 1984, something that ought to be able to earn mainstream accolades, but regrettably has not yet done so.

Yeah, certainly it was not my intent to say this is "not like all that genre crap," but rather that the very people who might say that (and who read Roth's The Plot Against America without feeling like they were slumming) are going to miss Farthing on their radar screens because it's stuck in genre-land. Which is too bad, both for Walton and all those people who think of themselves as "literary" types. Isn't that the kind of thing you would expect in IROSF? (Though, admitedly, it gets said all the time and doesn't change anything, so perhaps it's not worth bothering to say again?)
May 16, 17:08 by Bill Preston
An excellent, thoughtful review, recalling to me the pleasures of the book. Thanks, David.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver