Retro Robo(Cop)

May 14, 22:11 by IROSF
A thread to discuss the merits of RoboCop -- or the strange confluence of actors reconverging on 24.

Daniel M. Kimmel's article can be found here.
May 15, 19:55 by Steven Francis Murphy
Robocop has always been a favorite of mine (not because the protaganist was named Murphy). But I see Murphy's plight as humanity overcoming adversity, not one of exploitation and devaluation. Murphy as Robocop does go on to find a new family.

He adjusts, he adapts and he overcomes even his programing to follow his own moral code (warp though we may view it).

I don't know that I see this film as a sign of the future per se. I simply see it as a human overcoming technology.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
May 16, 03:36 by Daniel M. Kimmel
Perhaps he finds a family in the sequels or the TV series, but I was considering this film by itself. At the end he's a cyborg who acknowledged his human past, and has not yet reclaimed it.
May 16, 10:08 by Adrian Simmons
Considering he just had body language and (for about the first half of the movie) the lower half of his face, Peter Weller did a fantastic job of conveying emotion and non emotion. It's an even trickier play during the second half of the movie, when he's got his whole face, but mostly keeps a vacant look on it, with the occasional hints of anger or profound sadness.

Kirkwood Smith, on the other hand, has to make up for Murphy's lack of animation, and he does so in spades! In fact, I can't watch "That 70s Show" without expecting Red to pull out a gun, kneecap Fez, then drop a live grenade into the basement to watch the kids scramble.

May 17, 00:45 by Montgomery Cantsin
Paul Verhoeven, the director, also appears to be commenting on the American criminal system. For Robocop to become such an icon just goes to show how far he succeeded.
May 19, 06:41 by Nader Elhefnawy
I'm glad to see a piece about Robocop here. The film was unique in its treatment not only of the issue of consciousness, but privatization. While the sequels were comparatively silly (and their handling of Murphy's identity issues just an inferior repetition of what the first film did), their satirization of the economic and social issues raised by Omnicorp and the building of New Detroit was very clever and funny, if over-the-top.
May 19, 06:41 by Nader Elhefnawy
I think that would be the best episode of "That 70s Show" ever.
May 19, 11:08 by Bluejack
I'm with you all on that 70's show! I'd pay good money to see that.
May 21, 12:49 by Garen Daly
One prescient theme in ROBOCOP is how myopic a corporation's vision is, especially when it comes to creating products for the military. Bob Morton's complaint about Robocop wasn't merely it's unholy merging of man and machine, but how ED209 was designed to supply the military. This was to be an income stream for generations. The thesis posited is simple. Military suppliers are less interested in what they are supplying, but how long, and hence how much money they can make, by providing the 'service'.

We need only to look at Halliburton and the other companies 'working' in Iraq. Reports of shoddy construction, malfunctioning equipment and siphoned off millions, should remind us all, corporations serve one master - their bottom line and the bottom line doesn't particularly like, or dislike, humans.
May 21, 13:19 by Robert Urell
You want prescient themes of corporate myopia, read Melville's BARTLEBY THE SCRIVENER. That's prescience. As for ROBOCOP, well, if I saw the DVD in the bin at Walmart, I'd buy that for a dollar....
Nov 26, 22:05 by Daniel M. Kimmel
Here's a P.S. to this essay:

Add Kurtwood Smith to the actors who were in "Robocop" who went on to appear on "24." From the preview seen during the recent two hour telefilm, it seems he plays a senator who has Jack appear before his committee to answer questions about torture.

How timely...

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver