Hollow Earth Fiction

Sep 2, 05:25 by IROSF
This is where to post your thoughts on this sub-genre.

Article can be found here.
Sep 10, 20:35 by
Just to add to the list, though it's not an important novel, Joseph Kelleam's The Little People (Avalon Books, 1960, originally published in the Feb 1959 issue of Amazing Stories as Hunters Out of Time), deals with an alien race united with the dwarves of legend in a vast underground cavern deep below the Gulf of Mexico, complete with its own sea and artificial atomic sun. The sequel, Hunters Out of Space, published about a year later, moved everything to the very far reaches of the galaxy, and seemed to lose a lot of its charm in doing so.

In some ways I think the attraction of this sub-genre is the same one that applies to a much wider group of books, all those that imagine some new, heretofore unexplored place - such spaces can be full of amazing and wondrous things and societies where things could be very different from the drab and humdrum of the local now. And the genre is not dead even in hard sf circles - see Greg Egan's Incandescence, where his creatures can only determine the true state of what drives the weird gravitational effects of their world by making observations at its very center, or the somewhat earlier Still River by Hal Clement (1989).
Sep 10, 23:52 by Tom Marcinko
Good grief, Cindy, I hope you didn't have to read *all* those HE stories!

In a child's book about Lewis & Clark that I was reading to my son, I came across an anecdote that reminded me of the Shaver so-called mystery (the mystery being, how did anybody take him seriously?). Apparently there is (was?) a tribe that believed tiny people with big heads lived in or near ancient burial mounds.

A few of the flying saucer mags and books I read as a kid during the mid-60s alien flybys alluded to Nazi theories of a hollow earth, which might have been a base for or origin of the saucers.

And of course there's the movie classic THE MOLE PEOPLE, done to a turn on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver