Don't Call Me Shirley

Oct 7, 05:27 by IROSF
Express your opinions of this movie here.

Article is here.
Oct 7, 19:15 by Bridget McKenna
Thanks, Daniel, for bringing it all back to me, as I'm actually old enough to remember seeing this one in the cinema as a child, with my mother - another fan of SF films, books, and short fiction. And while The Tempest would be expected to stand the test of time, the surprise for me as an adult was that Forbidden Planet does too, in its way - even the spooky theramin music which would become cliché over time, but was still mysterious and new on that day.

I can still remember gazing up at the screen when the creature from the id was first illuminated in all its death-dealing horror by the security field. It was a transfixing, never-to-be-forgotten (appparently) moment. My favorite "future-that-was-never-to-be" moment was when the ship's captain identifies a noise he hears inside the Krell machine as the sound of bazillions of electrical circuits opening and closing. Of course the Krell's future might have been slightly clunkier, like their doors.
Oct 7, 22:59 by Jim Frenkel
Like Bridget McKenna, I'm technically old enough to have seen this on the big screen when it was first released, but I didn't. However, I did see it on a big screen in 1969, when the Stony Brook SF Forum had a screening of it in front of a crowd of several hundred eager students. We didn't have a great sound system, but the music, the visuals and the sense of wonder that the film evoked in us was all enormously exciting, even after 2001: A Space Odyssey. I remember, however, thinking that the sexual subtext wasn't very subtle. It was very clear, I thought, to the point of being about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Pidgeon as the over-protective father . . . I kept wondering if he was over-protective, or if there was a darker element in his protectiveness.
And yet, that in itself was in its way a good thing, because the film never went beyond that thought. It left unanswered the question of whether Morbius would have been so violently protective if he hadn't tapped into his "monster from the id" via the power of the Krell's mind-enhancing machine. We're left with the thought that perhaps if he hadn't meddled with that which "we are not meant to know," the other colonists would have survived and lived peacefully, or as peacefully as people can live.
It really was a landmark SF film. I wouldn't put it above The Day the Earth Stood Still. While the special effects of Forbidden Planet are clearly superior to those of the black-and-white Day, the script of the earlier film, not quite so nuanced but very effective, had a lot going for it. Perhaps it's Michael Rennie's performance as the visitor, or Patricia Neal's turn as the concerned mother and then unwitting participant in the climax of the film, but that film, despite its blatant preachiness, remains to my mind one of the other great landmarks in SF filmmaking of the twentieth century.
But none of that diminishes the importance of Forbidden Planet. Among other things, it actually had humor--in the comic relief of Holliman's role as the moonshiner gone to heaven, as it were, and in some of the byplay among various crewmembers, and also the banter of Altaira and the captain. Comedy is hard--no less so in a thriller like Forbidden Planet--and it was a significant achievement in many regards, as noted by Mr. Kimmel.
Oct 13, 20:37 by Dotar Sojat
Back in the early 80s my parents got a video disc player (not a laser disc, a video disc, the wax cylinder of the video era) and one of the first movies they got for it was Forbidden Planet. I think they might have seen it on the big screen back in the day. I was impressed, although it had a lot to measure up to.

The long-term effect, though, was how not-impressed with other 50s sf movies I was after seeing Forbidden Planet. I guess I started at one of the high points and they all seemed a little wane in comparison.

Mar 19, 21:30 by Paul Schilling
I remember when I first saw that movie I kept seeing Star Trek all over it instead of Shakespeare. I guess my education is reversed; I've been watching everything in the wrong order.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver