Arthuriana Through the Ages

Jun 4, 02:39 by IROSF
Comment below!
Jun 4, 20:33 by D. Nicklin-Dunbar
An interesting and well thought out overview of the Arthurian Mythos.
Several years ago in one of my Early English History courses at university I wrote a paper on the historicity of Arthur. Part of my paper dealt with the actual word Arthur being a title rather than an name. "Art" in old Welsh has the meaning of bear and is related to the idea of a leader of a war band. There may have been several Arthurs roaming dark age Britain, vainly attempting to stem the tide of Angles, Saxons and Jutes. I wish I had the paper to hand that I might provide some more information on my thesis.
Jun 5, 20:54 by Ryder W. Miller
Ruth,
Fascinating article. I wish you would have included the newly re-issued book by John Steinbeck about the King Arthur mythos. I am inclined to believe that he wrote the King Arthur book as a reaction to the success of The Lord of the Rings which sought to create a new mythos for England. Steinbeck was a long time King Arthur fan and was a knight of sorts himself. The Kennedy's with Camelot D.C. also seemed to be inspired as well. Can you comment about this?
Jun 8, 13:13 by frog pill
Another recent Arthurian story which I was put in mind of by Dafydd Nicklin's phrase about stemming the "tide of Angles", is K.V. Johansen's "The Inexorable Tide", in the collection The Storyteller and Other Tales: http://www.pippin.ca/kvj/storyteller.htm

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver