The Network SF TV Boom--and Bust

Jun 4, 02:41 by IROSF
Comment below!
Jun 4, 10:46 by Daniel M. Kimmel
Good overview of the industry. SF has never been a television mainstay even though it often does blockbuster numbers on the big screen (as with the current "Star Trek"). Ironically, after having drifted away from SF TV for a while, my two current favorites -- "Fringe" and "Dollhouse" -- were renewed. Now I don't have to shy away from TV-oriented panels at cons.
Jun 4, 15:24 by Nader Elhefnawy
Thanks for writing.

And yeah, that's one of the things I think people don't get-that gap between the big-screen success of SF, and the usually mediocre performance of the genre on television (in the U.S., at least), as well as in other media (like print fiction, where there is an audience, but it doesn't compare with what other genres do).

As my essay shows, I've followed those two shows myself.
Jun 5, 02:35 by Josh English
Great article! It is sad, in its way, that we will probably not have as much to watch next year. I am thrilled that Dollhouse was renewed, but I hear ugly rumors that FOX will really interfere with the show (beyond their normal show things out of order or unaired stunts).
Jun 6, 13:06 by Nader Elhefnawy
Thanks for writing Mr. English. I only heard about those changes recently.

It seems that, like Chuck on NBC, Dollhouse's renewal is just for 13, and entails a budget cut. The episodes will also be shorter because of the dropping of the "Remote Free TV" scheme (something that will also affect Fringe).

The talk about a new creative direction's been vague, but I don't think fans are wrong to worry given what the change would likely mean, and the contempt the channel has often shown for story arcs in the past (as with Joss Whedon's Firefly, which was for many observers a worrisome precedent).

Incidentally, io9 posted on the issue here

http://io9.com/5257353/welcome-to-the-all+new-all+different-dollhouse

in case anyone hasn't seen the news yet.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver