Hearing the Music

Jul 3, 01:09 by IROSF
Comment Below!
Jul 10, 01:14 by Lon Prater
Great advice. You are definitely on to something there. I've progressed from writing in silence mostly to writing with music mostly. I also have a hard time writing when there are words/lyrics included, so I stick to movie and video game scores, plus instrumentals. One thing I've found I like to do now (and I feel like it helps) is to deliberately select music for the kind of story or scene I intend to write. Historical and cultural music is all over the library and net, not to mention the scores to period piece movies, which can be just as evocative. I've been enjoying a few specific pieces as I work on wrapping up the current novel-in-progress.

I already have a playlist set up for my next novel project, and the neat thing about having it is that I can put the playlist on while walking or exercising too and it helps me think about the plot and story structure. Artsy-fartsy? Maybe. But it works for me, too.

Jul 13, 15:56 by LaShawn Wanak
Thanks for sharing this. I always enjoy reading about writers' routines. Each one is different.

I actually started writing using music--lots of New Age and Enya, but I found that using prompts work a lot better for me. I do tend to get hung up on making the story perfect as far as storyline go. I got several stories that are sitting on my hard drive, but the perfectionist in me wants to fiddle with the plot. Maybe I should trust the ideas that come to me originally, do the fast writing like you mention, and just send them out.

Again, thanks for the article!
Jul 14, 14:52 by Jason Ridler
Hi Lon: Thanks for reading, glad to hear I struck a chord (ha!) and that you've already got this process in tow. I agree that the kind of music certainly has an impact on the work, a kind of soundtrack.

And as far as the artsy fartsy stuff, I always think of the wise commentary from Jesse The Body Ventura: If it works, do it.

LaShawn: thanks for reading the piece. If prompts work better, use 'em, I say. I think the perfectionist side most writers have works best during revisions. But some folks hate fast writing, since the magic is in the details of sentence level construction, and fast writing is more flying by the seat of your pants. I say give it a shot for a few ideas and see what happens. The good thing about writing, at least IMHO, is that nothing is ever really lost so long as you keep trying, thinking, and learning.

JSR

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver