Jar Jar Binks Must Die

Oct 8, 07:07 by IROSF
Comment below!
Oct 8, 16:39 by Athena Andreadis
Dan, I agree with you. I disliked Star Wars increasingly after the second film, for reasons I explain in a Strange Horizons article, We Must Love One Another or Die. Brief excerpt:

I'm not bewitched by the endless battle scenes or the lightsaber pas de deux that eventually blur into sameness. I have immovable reservations about a universe geared to eleven-year-old boys and their values, which exclude significant chunks of human experience but include the core belief that girls are icky and if a Jedi gets too close to them his lightsaber won't ignite.

Athena Andreadis

Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
Oct 8, 18:54 by Brian Dolton
Um, I'm not trying to be harsh here, but did this piece fall through some kind of time-warp? It says nothing that wasn't already said (many, many times) after the film first came out. If you are going to put a "ten years later" retrospective on it, then... umm...try and come up with something new? Try and shed some kind of new light on it? Some new context? Anything?
Oct 8, 19:40 by D. Nicklin-Dunbar
Jar Jar Binks must indeed die. Too bad he didn't fumble his way onto a light sabre. Now that would have been entertainment.

The prequel trilogy got ever worse as it progressed. Even someone with only a passing knowledge of the original three films could point out the plot holes and inconsistencies (umm, Obi-Wan does not know that Luke has a twin sister, and yet there he is playing midwife to Padme). It was if George Lucas has never seen Star Wars.

Continuity, George, continuity.
Nov 6, 20:46 by David Gardner
So, can Obi-Wan survive this encounter or is he doomed? Wait a moment. Doesn't he appear in Episode IV played by Alec Guinness?

I agree with this to an extent, Daniel. At the same time, I don't think it paints a complete picture. For example, in Titanic, we pretty much know the outcome from the start, at least in broad strokes. Ultimately, the boat is going to sink, with great and tragic loss of life.

Lucas' problem here (other than his incredible arrogance) is that he fails to entice his audience to become invested in these moments. I'm not a chick flick kind of guy, but I was engrossed by Titanic, and crying when poor, young Leo dies. When Qui-Gon bought it, I thought "That's a shame. He seemed like an OK character."

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver