Short Fiction, October 2009

Oct 8, 07:08 by IROSF
Comment below!
Oct 8, 14:57 by Tim Pratt
I very seldom comment on reviews of my work, but this line prompts me to do so:

"the author seems to believe that the clouds are stationary, and perhaps, in this world, they are."

Yes, in the world of the story, clouds are stationary -- which is why destroying them leads to drought for the areas below, as the story states.

The author is well aware that, in this world, clouds move.
Oct 8, 15:09 by Lois Tilton
The reviewer had no doubt that the author was aware of this fact. The reviewer thought that the stationary clouds were a noteworthy feature of this world.
Oct 8, 17:25 by Tim Pratt
I'd never stoop to defend a story I wrote, but I did feel moved to defend my own personal basic meteorological comprehension. :) Apologies if I misunderstood what you wrote.
Oct 8, 18:22 by Lois Tilton
As I mentioned in the review, I think the clouds are a neat idea, but it took a moment of mental gear adjustment when I realized they were stationary. The implications would be quite profound in such a world.

Oct 8, 23:16 by Tim Pratt
Yeah, that's actually part of why I wouldn't write a longer story (gods forbid a novel) set in this world -- it's such a goofy central conceit, and the implications become really bizarre, unwieldy, and improbable if you do any kind of sensible extrapolation. But I figured I could get away with it in a brief story of revelation (that is, a story in which the character doesn't change by the tale's end, but in which the reader's *understanding* of that character changes).

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver