From Genly AI to Louis Proof

Nov 8, 00:54 by IROSF
Comment below!
Nov 12, 05:01 by Juliette Wade
Having read and enjoyed this article, I must direct people the work of Nnedi Okorafor - she's terrific. I just read "The Shadow Speaker" (2007) recently and she does an amazing job with storytelling and cultural material both in her African post-apocalyptic setting. As a side note, my own most recent story in Analog, "Cold Words" (Oct. 2009) had no non-minority characters.
Nov 12, 21:02 by Nancy Beck
Very interesting article. I'll have to look into the Romani books you referenced, as they sound fascinating.

As to minorities in fantasy, what about C. E. Murphy? Her first series, The Walker Papers, featured a main character who was part Celtic (Irish), part Native American, with, I thought, the Native American parts of the book coming off really well.

Then there's her next series, The Negotiator, featuring an African American main character, Margrit Knight, a Legal Aid lawyer. She defends those of the Old Race - gargoyles, selkies, etc. I haven't yet read it so I can't comment on it, but it sounds good to my ears (I just have to go and get it, when I have the money and the chance!).

Nancy
Nov 14, 21:12 by Gordon Van Gelder
Good article. Note that Judy Tarr's AVARYAN RISING trilogy was originally published in the mid-1980s and rereleased in one volume in 1997, not 1977.

---Gordon V.G.
Nov 15, 09:55 by Michael Burianyk
Thank you. You discuss a very important question of North American SF and Fantasy. It's interesting, though, that you didn't discuss Charles de Lint's fellow Canadian, Nalo Hopkinson?
Nov 18, 20:35 by Janine Stinson
I was wondering the same thing, MB. I read Brown Girl in the Ring recently and was very impressed by it; I've read some of NH's short fiction as well, and found it equally impressive. I also missed mention of Steven Barnes and Tananarive Due. Barnes has written SF and fantasy, and his alternate America novel Lion's Blood and its sequel, Zulu Heart, are well-written and worth more than one read, imo. Due's novels have more in common with horror but are also fantasy-based (often with paranormal elements).

That's just the first three writers off the top of my head when considering those not mentioned here, and none of the three are unknowns. Not meaning to nitpick the article, truly; just a fangirl rooting for her faves. :)
Nov 19, 14:47 by LaShawn Wanak
Very good article! I truly enjoyed it. I also would like to point out that N.K. Jemisen will be coming out with her fantasy novel The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms in 2010. She's rapidly becoming one of my favorite black writers with Nnedi Okorafor and Nisi Shawl.
Nov 21, 00:45 by Geoffrey Dow
Nit-picking, but still.

I confess that, thus far, I've only read as far as a little into your second paragraph, but your assertion that "Dhalgren made waves in the 1960s" is one of those basic errors of fact that tends to make me distrust any and everything else you might say.

Although I believe Delany featured protagonists of colour (good grief, is that a mouthful!) in earlier novels, Dhalgren was first published in 1975.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver