Three-in-One

Nov 8, 00:55 by IROSF
Comment below!
Dec 3, 00:30 by Michael Andre-Driussi
Thanks for the review, a good heads up for me! I'm a fan of Gondry's work, especially the shorter forms of music videos. The full length feature "Eternal Sunshine" was very good, but I was less enthusiastic about "The Science of Sleep."

I am very happy with Gondry's segment for "Tokyo!" and 40 minutes might well be his optimal length. Strangely enough, it seemed much longer than 40 minutes -- it somehow expanded in a pleasant way into nearly a full-length feature of 60 minutes! (Such that I honestly supposed that the other two directors would have only 20 minutes each.)

The bonus material on the DVD is a value added feature.
Dec 7, 09:33 by Bridgette Da Silva
I'm glad you liked the review, Michael. :) I love how each director had a very different POV. Gondry's segment was a challenge to interpret, but I appreciate a good intellectual puzzle.
Dec 8, 17:18 by Michael Andre-Driussi
They were different, it is true, and yet they have certain similarities of style. For one example, iirc, all three used at one time or another a long tracking shot where it is safer to use a series of short shots. For the first film, one was in the parking lot; for the second film, it was early on, with the guy walking down the street, messing with people; for the third, there was the initial scene establishing the interior of the hikikomori house (where it seems like a "still life" yet the actor is there, dormant, in every room).

The second film was my least favorite of the three, but for me it had a tour de force in the weird created language it used.

Gondry uses dream logic and the visual puns of dreams. Even so, while I understand the ending, I was surprised by the route from beginning to that ending. It was well-crafted, by no means obvious, and yet perfectly fitting in the end. And again there were some technical marvels, even from an artist like Gondry known for his tricks.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver