My Amphibious Love

Dec 11, 05:55 by IROSF
Please comment!
Dec 11, 14:56 by Nicholas Kaufmann
An excellent analysis, Rachel, and one that gives me a renewed appreciation of the film!
Dec 11, 15:00 by Nicholas Kaufmann
An excellent analysis, Rachel, and one that gives me a renewed appreciation of the film!
Dec 11, 15:17 by Patty Loofbourrow
I've had similar misgivings about the contest as you, and it was nice to hear your experiences. Congratulations on your award!

Dec 11, 22:57 by Michael Andre-Driussi
Nice to see a positive review of Ponyo, since the ones I've seen at anime sites have been rather negative. FWIW I like the movie, myself.

On the Miyazaki-side, I see it as a return to his roots -- not My Neighbor Totoro (1988), which Ponyo has certain similarities with, but the more anarchic Panda Go Panda! (1973). These are strong similarities, mainly in the very young protagonists and the sort of child logic they have, and also the drowned world stuff.

On the animation side, I was struck by the part where Ponyo is drawn into the forbidden room on the submarine. This seems to me to be a direct homage to Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but instead of horror and tragedy, ending in punishment, it is recast as accident and comedy, ending with reward.
Dec 15, 07:50 by Malcolm McGugan
My 6 year old daughter is a big Miyazaki fan (she makes me so proud), and we loved Ponyo. Afterwards we sent a thank you letter to the Danish distributors and they sent us a cuddly Ponyo!

Thanks for this great analysis Rachel.
Dec 17, 18:01 by LaShawn Wanak
I have to admit, when I first saw the movie, I was severely disappointed by it. It didn't look as spectacular as the previous ones, and the story seemed to me rather simple and bland.

But after a few days, I found myself thinking about it a lot and comparing it to the original story. You put it very well in your article--it truly is about unconditional love. We don't get many stories like that. And I found myself sympathizing very much with Lisa, who seemed overwhelmed just like me. :-)

All said, I think I like Ponyo a lot better now and would love to see it again. I know my 5-year-old wants to. He can't stop talking about it. Thanks for the review.
Dec 18, 17:08 by Michael Andre-Driussi
Yes, the look is quite different from the default "Ghibli standard" displayed in such diverse films as Totoro (for kids) through Only Yesterday (for women). I think there is a foreshadowing of Ponyo's difference in My Neighbors the Yamadas, a Ghibli film (directed by Takahata) where the style and energy of the original manga is maintained, such that backgrounds get very sketchy at times.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver