Melrose Space Marauder

Dec 3, 03:53 by IROSF
Comments can go here.

Article is here.
Dec 4, 21:33 by Nader Elhefnawy
I'm surprised this forum's been quiet for this long. Usually Heinlein readers from both sides of the issue are up for a scrap.
Dec 5, 22:18 by D. Nicklin-Dunbar
Wonderful essay. Quite a nice dissection of the films. Well done.

I, for one, never saw Heinlein's novel as facisitic. Besides being my favourite Heinlein novel, I re-read it every couple of years to remind myself of how prescient it really is. The ideas expressed in Rico's Civics class (about non-punishment of children etc) so clearly mirror our society now. The last three decades of political correctness and social engineering is producing the very society that Heinlein wrote about. However, never once did I find it at all facisitic. Martial, certainly, but so often people confuse and confound those two words.

The film versions, of course, do use facist imagery for excellent satirical effect (I am astounded that many people didn't "get it"). I quite like the film. Most of my S/F friends disliked it intensely, citing the numerous departures from the original novel. In my mind, there is Starship Troopers the novel, and Starship Troopers the film, and they share only the name and basic premise. I can enjoy both without hating either.
Dec 9, 17:03 by Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Nader,

Much enjoyed reading this well-researched piece. After the original Starship Troopers film I had trouble sitting through the sequel (and in fact I didn't), but the third part returned to some of the original's visual feel etc. A shame that the last half hour or so of Marauder looked like such a rush job, with its jarring editing and sloppy production.

Great work!
Dec 10, 17:59 by Nader Elhefnawy
Thank you both. Incidentally errant 371, I do think that one can enjoy both the book and film despite the significant differences. And, Mr. Zinos-Amaro, I was similarly put off by #2 during the first viewing, though on revisiting it for the writing of this piece, I did find myself a bit more favorable to it.

Want to Post? Evil spammers have forced us to require login:

Sign In

Email:

Password:

NOTE: IRoSF no longer requires a 'username' -- why try to remember anything other than your own email address?

Not a subscriber? Subscribe now!

Problems logging in? Try our Problem Solver